Monday, March 05, 2007

JESUS: There Is No Such Thing As Global Warming


What is with the evangelical right that they appeared to have had some kind of special meeting and determined that Jesus Christ: The Eternal Light has deemed global warming some kind of affront to Biblical faith? It makes no sense to me, but church after church somehow manages to lump global warming into some kind of religious belief system. I just don’t get it.

Before I get emails stating the obvious, I know that not all conservative Christians believe that global warming is some kind of satanic hogwash, but there appears to be a prevalent belief running rampant in the evangelical movement that makes connections between the Bible and global warming. I just don’t see the connection.

The only thing I can think of is that scientists believe in evolution, therefore any scientific theory or discovery that is somehow tied to any liberal belief such as environmentalism, is a product of the devil’s influence over humankind. Some such nonsense like that anyway.

You may be wondering where this is coming from. I watched the Academy Award documentary nominee, Jesus Camp, this weekend. It was an interesting movie. It focused on the religious-political evangelical movement at work in the United States today. This movie focused on a Pentecostal ministry, and it addressed Bush directly and supported his war through words, song and an interpretative production. That’s all fine and good. People can believe what they wish and put their faith in God anywhere they like even if it is misplaced. In the documentary one home-schooled boy was being taught by his mother that global warming and evolution were ridiculous science. Again, I don’t get the global warming-and-evolution connection. I get that many Christians have issues with evolution. It just got me to thinking that the majority of resistance I encounter regarding global warming is in connection with conservative Christian beliefs.

One evangelical radio host in the documentary talked about the silliness of environmentalism. He stated something to the effect that since we aren’t going to be here much longer, because Christ is coming very soon, then there is no need to take care of the Earth. We will be gone soon anyway. There is just so much wrong with this thinking. First, the radio hack suggests indirectly that he knows the mind of God and therefore knows that the second coming draws nigh. Anyone who presumes to know the mind of God is cruisin’ for a bruisin’. Secondly, what makes the person think that just because the end time is near that God would support and encourage the raping and pillaging of this rocky creation? In fact, one could make a strong argument that the Bible encourages us to not only take care of our bodily temples, but every Godly creation as well. I could do better in both departments, but that is beside the point. Christians should be environmentalists.

The movie really helped me see inside some of the more radical evangelicals out there. I say radical but I’m not sure I should use that term. Radical implies that they are on the fringe and I think the evangelical movement has a strong hold in mainstream society. Maybe the folks in this film are on the fringes of the movement, but I don’t think so. I think that is just what folks say to feel better about their own connection to the evangelical movement. From my Christian perspective, the evangelical movement has a strong agenda that is proving to be detrimental to Christian faith. They are a strong group that is getting more powerful everyday. I am proud that I am a Christian who does not align himself with this movement. I hope that Christ can save us from some of his own, misguided followers.

Let me give you a direct quote from the leader of the camp featured in this film and let’s see if it sends chills down anyone else’s spines, be you Christians or not:

BECKY FISCHER: “It's no wonder, with that kind of intense training and discipline, that those young people are ready to kill themselves for the cause of Islam. I wan to see young people who are as committed to the cause of Jesus Christ as the young people are to the cause of Islam. I want to see them as radically laying down their lives for the Gospel as they are over in Pakistan and Israel and Palestine and all those different places, you know, because we have... excuse me, but we have the truth!”

From my perspective, the only difference between the radical evangelical Christian followers and the radical Islamic jihadists is the person from whom the belief system comes from: Isaac or Ishmael. Otherwise, they are the same warmongering group fighting for religious dominance. Jesus Camp has nothing to do with Jesus, despite what the participants say.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes many of us Conservative Christians do believe in global warming. Most of us do not see a connection between evolution and global warming. We were told to tend the earth. I do not think that means to be irresponsible with our planet. Funny how people will put things together that does not really have anything with each other.

Lenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rev. Donald Spitz said...

Re: Jesus Camp Christians have as much right to vote as pro-sodomite, pro-abortion anti-Christian bigots.
SAY THIS PRAYER: Dear Jesus, I am a sinner and am headed to eternal hell because of my sins. I believe you died on the cross to take away my sins and to take me to heaven. Jesus, I ask you now to come into my heart and take away my sins and give me eternal life. http://www.armyofgod.com

admin said...

Rev. Spitz:

Of course all persons have the right to vote. That is how it should. My question is the logic in their connections between theology and global warming.

Thank you for your thoughts. Please don't make the assumption that I am a non-Christian or that I have not been saved. That is rather presumptuous of you. Indeed I have been saved and I love the Lord. I am not, however, fond of how many Christians bastardize the Word of God for political gains.