Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

It has been a powerful two-and-a-half days. In between nursemaiding a wife with pneumonia, cleaning house and entertaining a 7-year-old on summer break, I have been consuming the seventh book of the mythic Harry Potter series. I got the book on Saturday afternoon and stopped reading it while the sun came up on Monday morning. The majority of my reading came in this one overnight sitting while I was free to fight alongside Harry and the others in the DA and the Order of the Phoenix undisturbed.

I was late to the Harry Potter game. I was busy with life and had little time to read when the Sorcerer’s Stone came out. I jumped aboard with the Goblet of Fire. I decided to give this series a read and bought the first one at the used book store. I read it in a day, then I scowered the city’s used books stores for the remaining three. I spent the next few weeks reading like a starved child at a buffet. I started purchasing the books new starting with Order of the Phoenix (my personal favorite).

Now that it is over, I am not sure what to feel and I cannot think out loud here as it may lead to plot spoilers and I would not wish that on anyone. So I will remain silent until I can find someone to talk with who has finished the series.

I toyed around with trying to review the book here. I am not prepared to do so. I am still absorbing the information and experience. I found a review from the New York Times, which is absent any spoilers, if you care to read.


2 comments:

Sky Girl said...

I've only started, as we had company Saturday - Tuesday, but I'm already enthralled.

Sky Girl said...

I'm finished. I really loved it, thought it did the loose ends justice. I added my thoughts to my blog, with spoilers in the comments only. Would love to know what anyone else thought.