Wednesday, February 04, 2009

GUNS IN CHURCH?

The way I read the story, that's already an option. What we are really talking about are concealed guns at church. An Arkansas bill would allow churches to opt out of the conceal and carry law, prohibiting concealed guns within the hallowed walls.

I think that means that people already have the right to carry concealed weapons at church. I didn't know that they needed a special law to allow churches to ban them.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God." (emphasis mine)
– Matthew 5:9.

I'm pretty certain that Christ did not attack or defend himself against those who would hurt, attack or kill him. If he is the living example of right and wrong ... well then I think his actions speak volumes.

(UPDATE: I don't know why I didn't mention this before, but it should be noted that I am – and always have been –  an avid gun owner and shooter. I can relate to the "from my cold dead hands" ideology when it comes to protecting my rights to own firearms. I don't want anyone taking my guns from me. Period. I don't feel the need to haul them to church either.)

1 comment:

Jeremy D. Young said...

Eliminating weapons from any establishment inherently reduces the fear factor for any that would rob from or kill those in that establishment.

You don't conceal and carry to protect yourself against known attacks, it is the unknown that you protect yourself and those around you from.

Furthermore, I am not certain of this, but I think it is any private property owner's right to disallow entrance to people that have weapons. Seems that would be a no-brainer. Then again, it is frequently true that laws are written poorly, so common sense may not apply.