Friday, April 21, 2006

'Faith Is Not A Tool'

Former Senator and vice-presidential candidate, John Edwards, was at MSU on Wednesday talking about morality and ethics among politicians, according to the Springfield News-Leader. He also talked of faith stating that while he embraces faith: “Faith is not a political tool.”

Kudos to him. That is a risky statement these days. Christians, especially those of the uber-conservative evangelical sort, may take offense to that statement as they were the driving force in electing our: I’m a Christian so if you really love God you will forward this mail to 10 people you know, and you have to vote for me, President Bush.”

In other news, Granny Geek received an email with this picture of a protestor at some rally, somewhere. I just thought it was clever and had to pass it on.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do agree that faith should not be a tool. It should completely encompass all you do and say. It should not be a political method to an ends. I do not mind a politician telling me about their faith but what I really want is to see how it affects their political life and their ethics. If you are going to claim to be a practicing Christian, then your ethics should be unquestionable. It should not be for sale from any special interest group- even when you agree with them.

The key to impeach him would be that he would have to lie about the oral sex in front of a grand jury to impeach him for it. So often we forget that it was perjury that was impeachable and not the oral sex.

Now breaking the law of the land by spying on U.S. citizens without a warrant may be impeachable.

admin said...

Spying on Americans. Sending troops overseas to start a fight based on lies, ooh, ooh, how about nuking Iran in a "pre-emptive strike?" Those are also impeachable. Didn't Bushy-poo lie to Congress (and the American pepole) when he gave us all that false intelligence just so he could go start a war in Iraq? Or does that kind of lie not count? Maybe it doesn't count legally, but ethically? Oh but I forgot. He's a Christian (therefore a real patriot) and all of the aforementioned is all a big fat media lie.

(I know you don't buy into all of that Repub-vs-Demo business, so don't send me an email about it. I know you. I'm just having a fun rant.)

Unknown said...

My only further comment is that you have to prove that he intentionally lied before congress for that to count and I think that you would be hard pressed to prove it. It is not like you have a smoking gun (or in Clinton's case a stained dress) to prove it. And I believe that most of Congress was on record long before the invasion as stating that they believed that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction along with Former President Clinton. You know that I am not an apologist for this admin but I don't think it is right to try to impeach the President over Iraq. (That was much longer than I wanted).