Saturday, April 22, 2006

How Does Your Garden Grow?


… with peppers and maters and cilantro galore. I planted my first garden today, April 22, 2006, which just so happens to also be the 36th anniversary of Earth Day.

I don’t much like yard work. I have no interest in digging in the Earth nor for growing things, although I am a Hobbit in almost every other way. All of this is much to my grandmother’s chagrin. Gardens and growing things bring her so much happiness, probably because they put up with her pissing with them constantly without any fuss.

But this year my daughter is five (six in a month) and she brought some plant home from Sunday School for Easter (I have been informed that it was an Easter Lilly, so I don’t know need a gush of emails informing me of such, thank you very much.) She watered it everyday and loved watching it grow. That is until she got bored with it, but that’s just how kids are. I can’t really fault her for that. There are other ways to spend time with your child than watching movies and reading books. So this summer, Sophie and I are tending garden.

Thus the vegetables. I got vegetables because we are soon to be down to one income and I’ve been told that growing your own veggies is much cheaper and healthier than the store bought variety. Although I am wondering about that seeing how much I spent doing all of this (and I bought cheap.) Plants, pots, steaking sticks, potting soil and manure, gloves, a watering hose and spray nozzle. Some of this are items that a household needs anyway, so I can’t baulk too much.

I will say that I refrained from the high priced soil with fertilizer in it. I went granola and bought plain potting soil and mixed it with manure. By the way, that is very cheap. Sophie and I mixed the manure (manure, can you believe that … shit?) That’s right, I told my daughter that it was manure, which is cow poop. And she said it was gross and stuck her hands in it anyway. I was so proud.

We planted our veggies in pots and put them out by the back fence. I choose potting them rather than a tilling the Earth because I am lazy and it’s a small garden and I don’t’ have a tiller, and I’m lazy, and I don’t really like gardening anyway, and I hate weeding and I am lazy.

We planted six bell pepper plants: yellow, red and purple. (I’ve never heard of purple bell peppers. They also had chocolate peppers too, but I didn’t get those.) We got five tomato plants: four roma and one beef steak as well as one poblano pepper, also known as ancho. She and I also planted a pot full of cilantro. The poblano is the pepper used to make chili rellenos and is one of the most popular peppers used in Mexican cooking.

So help me God, if those hairy, lop-eared little bastard bunnies get into my plants, I’m going to shoot them with my .22 and have us some roast rabbit with veggies. That sounds good, I might do that just for the yumminess of it. I may see if What-A-Crock has a slow cooker recipe for rabbit.

No comments: