Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Need For Family


My nephew was born on April Fools Day eleven years ago. Our little trio traveled to Tulsa, OK to celebrate his near teenagerness – He turned 11 this last weekend.

My sister and her husband have three children. So compared to our household of one child, their lives are a vortex of energy, confusion and fun. And when we get together, it becomes a full-fledged tornado of twisting and playing children. Sophie slept the entire three-hour trip home.

I really enjoy connecting my daughter with her cousins. I never had a great relationship with my cousins -- the cousins who were near my age. It is very important to me to have my daughter form strong, loving relationships with her cousins in Tulsa and the ones in Branson.

Families are, after all, the most important commodity we have in our lives: blood relations, church family, and friends-who-are-really-family. Family members and friends are like marriage. One must work at them in order to have them thrive. But too many of us do not want to work. We don’t want to work at our job. We don’t want to learn. We don’t want to be inconvenienced. Our world does not want to be bothered by the plights of others. We become so concerned with others’ morality and life choices, rather than focusing on our own personal growth.

My wife and I do not sit back and wait for the public school to fill our child’s mind. We read to her, expose her to new experiences and teach her when she is at home and in our care. Not everyone takes an interest in their child’s education or in their child’s best interest.

I am happy that my sister and I have such a great relationship, and I thankful that our children love to be with one another. I am thankful that my Branson family is supportive and loving, and they see the need for our children to be with one another, despite the fact that there is an age difference.

It is about family and relationships and about making ourselves better, one step at a time. It may be work, but it is worth it.

No comments: