Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Elvis and Stars Make Christmas


Our Christmas tree is up and we are listening to Christmas music. Yes, yes, it’s too early for many of you out there. That old argument is as annoying as all that War on Christmas business. People go to boo-hooing about the stores putting up Christmas décor in November. Not me. I like it and I am going on record. I love Christmas. I love what it stands for and I think peace is something we should remember as often as possible. Our presents are already purchased and being shipped, except for two people. Their gifts are a bit harder. Thanksgiving Day we put up my wife’s family’s tree and then the next day we put up both of our Christmas trees, with stars on top, of course.

If you know me, then you know that there are two things that signify Christmas to me, beyond the reason for the season of course:

  1. The only Christmas tree is one with a star on the top. I don’t really know why that is, but it’s just a weird thing of mine. Anything else is a holiday tree, including some cardboard angel. Nothing against angels, I am down with them, but they don’t belong on the top of a Christmas tree. I have two trees up this year: a Christmas tree with a star on top and a smaller holiday movie-themed tree.
  2. It ain’t Christmas unless Elvis is singing. Growing up my parents always put on their vinyl Elvin Christmas album while we decorated the tree (complete with star on top). That is locked in my mind, for good or bad, and there it stays. To this day, I play my Elvis Christmas CD while decorating. It just makes it Christmas for me. Now I play other Christmas music throughout the season and even during decoration, but it always starts with Elvis. Always.

One year my Mother decided to replace the burned out star on our tree with an angel. She had no idea that would cause any kind of raucous, but it did. I would not have it and pitched a fit, a fine Fat Jack fit, until we went out and bought a star to put on the tree. Silly, true, but it’s just one of those quirks. I have no intention of changing my opinion. In fact I plan on handing down that tradition to my daughter who so far is quite agreeable to the idea. It’s her job to put on the star and she is relentless in the occupation, reminding me from dawn till dusk that it’s her job. I can’t even pick the star up, move it, touch it or even look at it without her running over to make sure that she is the one to place it in its rightful place atop the Christmas tree. I love it. We have so much fun putting all that up.

Saturday was so nice that I decided to put the outdoor lights up too. I got lazy and didn’t do it last year, but this year my little bit helped me out. That is, until she got bored and ran off to play in the tree house. Nothing too elaborate or extensive. Just a few net lights on the bushes and nine strings on the big oak out front – red and white candy cane stripped.

That’s our tradition and I’m sticking to it. November or December, we are excited about Christmas and the season, the celebration and the happiness, the peace and the giving that it represents. The crazy Black Friday shoppers can punch their way into the season to save a few dollars if they want to. I will be home with my family putting our star on the Christmas tree and listening to Elvis. Most of my shopping is done by Thanksgiving anyway. What isn’t I try to buy online anyway. That leaves very little that must be purchased from stores. I just sit back and enjoy the season.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A very nice tradition indeed. I also grew up on Elvis Christmas music. My wife unfortunately has a disdain for Elvis. How did we ever end up together? I do not have any problems with Christmas stuff up in November but when starts start putting it up in September when it is still 80 degrees outside, I do have issues with that.

Anonymous said...

Our family always puts our Christmas decorations up the week before Christmas. We enjoy our Christmas decorations up early, but not as early as our son, Jake. Our 21 yr. old son who has developmental disabilities, would have our Christmas decorations up year round if we would allow it. He does not understand why the happiest time of year can not be all year. (He has the right idea, you know.) We do allow him to have his own 18 inch tree up all year on his dresser. He also has a 5 foot Santa ready to dance and sing a Christmas song for you any time of year. He keeps Santa in the corner of his room and regulary speaks with him about how long it will be until the next Christmas. So as you could expect, Jake is thrilled that this is Christmas time. The recent snow has him even more excited and we even put his snow man flannel sheets on his bed to keep him warm. Until last week, they would have made him too warm!! Jake also loves Fat Jack. He calls him, "That balded Chris", and is sad that he no longer works with his mom. I wonder if there is some corelation to his love for Santa and forJack. Maybe it is that they are both jolly and have a love of Christmas! Merry Christmas to all and to all a great new year.

Anonymous said...

Sorry! I meant to say that we put up our Christmas decorations up the week before Thanksgiving.