Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Precious Commodity


I should have paid attention to him, but I was busy getting ready for bed. I know better than to ignore him. He has needs too and he has no playmate, no one with whom to romp and play and wrestle. I learned my lesson quick enough and finally carved some time out for our kitty.

We have a good cat. He doesn’t cause problems or tear things up, with the exception of the one time that he got out of the house and was gone for a week. He sleeps most of the time, but he is a cat and he does have times of high energy. Since he is the only pet and his is by himself all day I’m sure he gets lonely. We try to pay a lot of attention to him. He loves to lie on our laps in the evening. He especially misses me as I am doing homework all the time. Before I started back to school he really enjoyed our nighttime routine where I would sit in my chair and he would curl up on my chest.

Now I sit in my chair at the computer and complete my homework. He lets me know he needs attention by scratching the back of my office chair. He is de-clawed in the front so he doesn’t hurt any of the furniture. If that doesn’t work, then he will typically bit my legs. He doesn’t bit hard, but just tries to get my attention. He loves doing that to my wife in the mornings to remind her to feed him or clean out his box.

I was getting ready for bed last night and Buddy was trying to get my attention. I was trying to ignore him. That’s never a good idea because he won’t let me sleep if I don’t pay attention, but I was stubborn. He threw me a curve ball and changed his game plan. I was standing in the living room brushing my teeth, standing only in my underwear. He was walking through my legs and desperately trying to get me to pay him some mind.

Then the sharp pain hit me. No blood of course, just a light nip and the tip. He stood up on his back legs and bit me in my flanderdoodle. He wanted to play and fight and I was not being cooperative. He knew I was going to bed and that this was his last chance. He took it. I inspected the affected area and no damage was done so I capitulated, and got his sock. We have a sock that we use for him. It covers the length of the arm, up to the bicep, and allows him to play-fight – bite and scratch with his back claws. He really gets after it, panting and huffing. We fought until he was satisfied and then I went to bed. Lesson learned.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so glad there wasn't any damage to your flanderdoodle :)

Mrs. Fat Jack

Anonymous said...

You know, I've heard it called lots of things but never, ever a "flanderdoodle." Hee.

Lenny said...

Man you must of dipped your twig N berries in catnip!

Unknown said...

Firstly, golf clap for the picture.

Secondly, isn't "flanderdoodle" the offical term used in Kazakhstan?

Thirdly, it sounds like your cat really bites dude.

Bryan said...

Jack,

Impressive that the cast thought it was long enough to play with!

I second the Golf clap from Larry.. but for a different reason!

Anonymous said...

I was a little startled when I scanned through this post to see if I really wanted to read about men's drawers. You have more than one loved one in your home with an endearing "cat" moniker (see previous post). Maybe I thought someone who posted raw Deliverance type poetry...then I read "flanderdoodle" and I thought "hmmmm, poetic license?"

Ha! Once I had a Siamese kitten name Phoebe(domestic feline-eats Friskies) who was wild and ran up my curtains. I tried to grab her when she was perched on a high valance and she freaked causing one of her claws to swoop down and fish hook through my lip. Luckily I was young and had fast reflexes so I was able to instantly grab her paw and immobilize her while I oh so slowly and carefully pulled the claw out the way it entered. Yes there was blood and yes I cried, but miraculously no infection. Phoebe lived with me 14 years, my most loving of all pets except on one occasion when she got out and had a Mexican standoff with, of all things, another Siamese. A cat duet not of this world!

Anonymous said...

Hi-diddly-ho, Flanderdoodle!