Tuesday, October 23, 2007

For Whom Shall I Vote?

Oh I haven’t really made up my mind yet, but I reserve the right to change my mind multiple times, right up until I walk into the booth. Just for fun, I like to think about the candidates and all of that.

I used to like hero John McCain many a day ago, until he sold out. The old McCain seems to be back, but for my part it is too little too late. Not that I would have ever voted for him as I am not sure that our politics really lines up all that well, but I respected him for being a Lone Ranger (at least I did).

I tend to have a more liberal leaning on more issues (except abortion and gun control) and so I have been watching the Demos hash it out. Let me say up front that I like Sen. Hillary Rodham-Clinton. As a side note, I find it bothersome that the pundits on Fox Sunday morning keep calling her Hillary or Mrs. instead of Sen. Clinton. Even Tim Russert and Juan Williams make the mistake. At least those two immediately correct themselves. You will find this double standard true on the university level too. It’s not just a “Hillary” thing. Many a male professor is called Dr. So-and-So while female doctorates are referred to by their first name.

Anywho, I like Sen. Clinton fine. I find most of the things said about her are nothing more than urban legends (see two previous posts) but I am not going to vote for her. It has more to do with President George W than it does her. Sort of. I think that divisive leaders, seriously hated Presidents, do more damage to our country than we can handle. We’ve seen it with our current President. If you think President Bush has haters, just wait until Sen. Clinton becomes President. Yikes.

She is hated like no other person on the planet right now. I think many conservatives hate her more than Iran’s President or Saddam or anyone else. That really cannot be good for us. Personally, I think Sen. Clinton is the top pick for Republicans because they know so many will vote against her, which is why they keep framing the issues around her rather than dealing with the issues outright.

As far as candidates go, I have eliminated her from the list. While I think she could and would do so many good things for us, I think her mere presence would be problematic and do more harm. It has to be someone else for me, I’m just not sure who. I really like John Edwards during the previous campaign. I voted for him during the last primary election and saw him twice at Missouri State University.

There’s something about Barack that I like too. He’s a good speaker. It’s yet to be seen if he has what it takes. He did have the foresight not to invade Iraq in the first place. He gets big points for that one.

Who do you like and more importantly why?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand why you'd think it is a show of disrespect to refer to Mrs. Clinton again and again simply as "Hillary." And, while some are likely doing so to undermine her authority, it should be noted that Senator Clinton has worked hard to market the "Hillary" brand.

I think, in part, it is to help her maintain a separate identity from her husband. And, perhaps in part to counter the BS about her not being feminine enough.

Also of note, if you log onto the senator's campaign website, though it is registered under both her names, the masthead reads simply "Hillary for President." So, obviously, it is a brand she is endorsing.

And, BTW, still don't know who I'm supporting in the primaries yet either, so don't feel alone.

Anonymous said...

I really don't know who I'm supporting either because none of the candidates really excite me. If I had to vote today I'd pick Huckabee over Ron Paul only because I think Huckabee might actually have a chance of rising up a la another Arkansas governor a few years back.

And you're dead-on about Hillary being too divisive for the country.

Anonymous said...

Jason, I'm with you in regards that of all the Republicans, Huckabee has a possibility of breaking away from the rest of the 2nd tier candidates.

I'm not a fan of the man for a number of reasons, but if I had to live with any of the current crop of Republicans for 4+ years as president, he'd be my choice.

Unknown said...

Jack,

I am another undecided at this point. I also will probably wait until I go into vote to completely make up my mind. In the primaries of 2004, I voted for Lieberman in the Democrat primaries because I thought he was the best candidate.

I agree with you and the disrespect of referring to Senator Clinton by her first name. I do understand Strannix's point of marketing. I try to maintain proper titles on my blog out of respect for their positions.

Senator Clinton is an interesting candidate because she is devisive but also draws out a lot of women that might be undecided. If she gets the nomination, I am assuming you will vote for her in the general election against most Republican candidates. Am I correct in that?

admin said...

Larry,

Just to be clear (because I was not in my post), I do not object to the HILLARY moniker as I lead on. She's pushed it and that's fine. I object to them calling her Ms. Clinton rather than Sen. Clinton. It is a sly invalidation of her qualifications and makes me mad. Dems have done it too, but they usually fix it right then.

Now for your question:

For whom shall I vote if Hillary is the Dems candidate? You are a tricky dicky my friend. It all depends on who runs as a independent candidate. I have always been a supporter of third party candidates and do not feel it a waste of my vote to vote for one.

I like Hillary fine, but Edwards is a much better candidate. And that Dennis K is a guy who is similiar to my own thoughts, most of the time.

If it is Huckabee and Hillary, then I am voting for Hillary. I think Huckabee is ... okay I can't be nice. So I won't say anything.

Unknown said...

What if the third party candidate is Ron Paul? I can see that happening.

admin said...

I'm not closing any doors yet.

Unknown said...

That is a good perspective. I agree with not ruling anyone out at this early time. You are an honorable man.