Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Let's Think For Ourselves, Shall We?

I think blogger Larry might be on to more than just a simple passing thought on his post about civility. It hit home this week when an old acquaintance sent me an erroneous email about Hillary and then when the email was proven to be false, the person still refused to acknowledge or correct the wrong. See previous post for more.

Hatred of our politicians is doing us some harm. I am no fan of President Bush, but I do not hate him. I do not push lies about him and if I am mistaken in my thoughts about him, I am willing to admit it. That does not mean that I will like President Bush or his policies just because a preconceived notion of him is found to be false. It would be silly of anyone to assume that. He’s a terrible, war-hungry leader, in my opinion.

Because of his policies and refusal to admit his own wrong doings, many have labeled him King George, which is a fantastic funny. I’ve used it many times and laughed. King George gets that the crux of my criticism of the president and so it seems prudent. Unfortunately, I think this is just what has lead us to the place where our political dogma blinds our own judgment. Thus we have crazies like the subject of the post below.

So I’m going to quit using the term King George, at least in my public blog. Mostly, I do not want to get to the point where I stop thinking for myself and drink some political party’s Kool-Aid as my old acquaintance has obviously done. I’m a fan of critical thinking. Silly me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bravo! We can discuss the negative actions of politicians without it becoming a name calling or personal attack. I commend you on this. And yes we should think for ourselves.