Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What is the Role of Religion in the 21st Century Public School: Part 2

Last week I wrote about the educational conference I attended. This is a continuation of that discussion. Everyone seemed to agree on the fact that religion plays a role in the education of our children. Where we differ is to the extent of that role and the definition of the word “religion”.

Some would have us define “religion” as incorporating any faith. There were two people at the conference whose views were limited only to Christianity. One claimed that Christian students could not practice their faith and were unable to pray in school. A point that is whole-heartedly incorrect. Even Jeremy Gunn, from the ACLU, stated that religion could and should play a part in the public schools. Yet there are people who continue to promote the misconception that children are not allowed to pray in school.

I’m sure it is possible to find isolated cases where a student’s freedom of expression was subverted by an overzealous and fear-based administration, the law is clearly on the side of the student; they can express their religious views, pray in school and be free from discrimination. Any school that would thwart a student’s right to pray before taking a test, for example, would be in violation of the law. But just like speeding, it’s not wrong until you get caught. If the student does not act, then the discrimination will continue, even though it is unlawful.

Case in point, schools routinely allow “Pray at the Pole” events as well as clubs such as Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Both of these events usually happen before or after school, and our outside the classroom walls. If a student were to wear to school a t-shirt with a slogan such as “God hates Fags”, then the issue of hate speech may come into play. I can’t really say for sure how that will work out. Praying in school is within the rights of the students. Period.

Here is a head scratcher for you, and one that came up as a result of the conference. Let’s say I am a fifth grade teacher and during class a student raises her hand and asks me:

  • Are you a Christian?
  • What religion are you?
  • Where do you go to church?

Something like that. How do I, as a classroom teacher, answer this question? Were I thinking, I would have asked this of both the ACLU and the Alliance Defense Fund. I didn’t and I regret it. I have received many different answers on this ranging from:

  1. Tell the student it is a personal question and inappropriate
  2. Tell them I am a government employee and cannot answer such questions
  3. “I go to (insert name of church).”
  4. Tell them that I am a Christian the move on.
  5. It depends on your school district.

Around here, telling people I am a Christian and then moving on with the lesson will probably raise few eyebrows. What if I am a Catholic, Jew, or Atheist? Those may have different ramifications. And what of the idea that I am a government employee and cannot espouse or establish a religion? The point was made that elementary students especially will want to be like me and to offer my religious views is in essence promoting them?

Personally, I am inclined to believe that to refuse to answer the question is disingenuous. Teachers teach about the world and our lives. We are to in the classroom to promote questions, and help students make discoveries. To not answer the question seems to tell the students not to ask me questions.

Interestingly enough, all of these different responses came from Christians. So obviously, we need to learn more about the law. The response that scares me the most is the last one. The idea that our responses to questions are based on the school district seem the most appropriate and pragmatic, but also the scariest. If you are at work and someone asks you what religion you practice, you are free to answer. There is no need to preach or convert, but simply answer honestly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The claim that kids are not allowed to pray individually in school (e.g. before a test) is propaganda used to inflame the stupid. The people who promote this nonsense know it is nonsense. But they also know that the stupid will get upset about it, believe it, and repeat it. The purpose is to win politically.

Anonymous said...

Another thoughtful post, Jack.

Your openness with students is to be commended. I think you're going to be a fine teacher. I wonder, though, if it is wise, or even safe, for a teacher to tell students one's religion, especially in Springfield.

I was frequently asked "What religion are you?" by other adults around the community. When I answered "Unitarian" the glares and sudden deaths in conversation were slightly amusing. I chalked it off to ignorance.

But please remember that Springfield is a place where the Council of Churches does not permit membership for non-Christians. That's right. Jews---the Synagogue--cannot belong to the Council of Churches. Neither can the Unitarians (people who do not believe in the doctrine of the Triune God, the Trinity). And forget about Muslims at the Springfield Islamic Center. Or Wiccans. You get the picture. While these groups are welcome to work at Crosslines and other volunteer activities of the Council, their affiliation with the organization is limited to a non-voting, "Friend"-type one.

Kinda sets a tone for the entire community, doesn't it?

If a teacher told a group of students that he/she is, for example, a Unitarian, I can imagine some parent complaining to the principal or the school board that they don't want little Sally or Joe being taught by a You--nee-tarian. Or a Muslim.

Mind you, I'm not sure the complaint would go far, but I'm also not sure it would be worth the hassle to disclose one's religion.

Just a few thoughts from afar.