Thursday, January 10, 2008

Holy Civil Engagement, Batman! 10-Year-Old Boy Cares About Recent History

I was holding hands with my daughter today when I picked her up from school. It was raining slightly and very cold. I had to park quite a way down the street. As we were walking and talking about her day a voice rang out:

“Mr. Fat Jack! Mr. Fat Jack!”

The fifth grade boys were piling into a van, the doors still open. One brother pointed to the other one. “He has a comic.”

So he did. I know these boys because I frequently substitute in their class. It is an eMINTS classroom and I am one of the only substitutes in the entire city who is working on his eMINTS certification.

I stopped and the young scholar pulled out a copy of THE 9-11 REPORT: A GRAPHIC ADAPTATION! Holy civil engagement, Batman! To my amazement, this 10-year-old boy had gone to the county library and checked out THE 9-11 REPORT.

He proudly told me that he had already read some of it and it was great. The kids in this school know that Mr. Fat Jack is into comics. They know it because when I teach, I tend to take one with me. Just testing the waters is all.

This boy was so proud to tell me that he was reading a comic. It meant something to him. Quite frankly, I would have suspected the reading level to be a bit high for him. I was wrong.

Today, I am proud to be a teacher who promotes the use of comics in the classroom. It can make a difference.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome. You are making a difference as a sub. Very cool.

Busplunge said...

When you teach math, map reading, decision making skills, go to the hwy dept and get a case of Missouri highway maps. Tell the students we are going to reach success today! How are we going to do it. Pass out the maps. Success is a town in Missouri. Have them map out a route, figure mileage, etc.
Sometimes the best teachable moments are using everyday materials and situations.
Ya done well, Fat Jack!

Badgerangel said...

Hi Jack,
I'm a former Queen City resident and I found you through the Snarling Marmot, who I found whilst perusing the Intarwebs ISO a Springfield Style Cashew Chicken recipe. I digressed, sorry...back on track now.

Anyway, please continue in your quest to help kids read through comics. I love comics and graphic novels, and ANYTHING that gets kids to read = good.

You have a good day and enjoy some cashew chicken for someone far from home. Or go to the Book Jungle. Or Dickerson Park Zoo. Or something.
BadgerAngel
PS Congratulations Kitty on her award. And if I were in Springfield I would buy cookies.
BA

admin said...

Thanks S.