Monday, January 21, 2008

Tidbits from the World of Celluloid

Independent film lovers residing in Ozarks country will be glad to hear that The Moxie is working to procure the nasty little nail biter, TEETH, which has been blogged about before. Skinny Kitty and I cannot wait to check out this cheeky little bit of muffness. Red Badge of Courage? I should say so.

Trailer is here
Ain’t It Cool News Review is here

Speaking of Springfield’s great chamber of fancy indy flicks, some friends asked us to accompany them to The Moxie for an dose of depressing chuckles at the film, THE SAVAGES, starring Laura Linney, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Philip Bosco. If you daysr of growth were spent in shambles, then take some Xanax before you go. If’n your parental units are seriously aged, then Prozac is more your speed for this flick. Either way, growing old is soon upon us all and dealing with ailing parents is a reality of life. Great film, but quite sad. It made me calculate my mortality, and that of my ma and pa, and I’m not sure I liked that feeling, thank you very much. Still, a great but neurotic movie.

We saw a very horrific preview while waiting for THE SAVAGES. It was for THE ORPHANAGE, presented by none other than Guillermo Del Toro, of Pan’s Labyrinth. Skinny Kitty leaned over and said she was having none of it. It cracks me up because when we were dating she loved these kinds of movies. After having a kid … her world changed. Seeing children in distress sends the wife over the edge. I’ll be seeing this one sans the Kitty.

Dreamworks is coming out with what looks like might be a fun one, and it has nothing to do with ants, or bugs, bees, or – God forbid – any more freaking penguins. KUNG FU PANDA stars Jack Black and hopes to feed the ninja (or samurai) inside us all. Come on. Who doesn’t like a good piece of Black Belt Theatre? And you can take the kiddies to this one!

Larry and Bryan went to see CLOVERFIELD. I was invited, but prior commitments got in the way. In the long run, it was probably a good thing as I tend to get motion sickness. I left BLAIR WITCH feeling the need to hurl the giblets. No kidding. Based on Larry’s review, I think this film is best left as a rental if I am to make it through without needing a bucket, a 7-Up and a nap afterwards. I still want to see it. I love monster movies and horror flicks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jack,

It might be best for you to wait but I think you will miss a bunch of the awesomeness and the feel og it if you don't see it on the big screen.