Thursday, February 21, 2008

80 Years of Oscar


Thank heavens the writer’s strike is over so Jon Stewart can do his thing at the Academy Awards. School, as you already know, gets in the way of my movie watching. As long as JUNO has been in the theaters, I still have not had the chance to see it. Terrible, ain’t it?

My brother-in-law ranted and raved about NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, which is another one I really wanted to see. We did manage to see SWEENEY TODD and it was wonderful. We loved it. I wanted to see PERSEPOLIS, as it is based on a graphic novel, but alas, I did not. Other than that, there was not a whole lot that really enthused me about the nominations this year. Here is a list of the nominated films we saw:
  • Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
  • Ratatouille
  • The Bourne Ultimatum
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
  • Enchanted
  • Transformers
It’s a pathetic showing, don’t you think? I should have seen more artistic and important movies. Of course my daughter thinks her movies are important. She loved ENCHANTED. Me, not so much. A bit too girly for my taste.

I’m having chili, salad and a beer, then sitting down to view the whole ordeal. We are having just a couple of friends over – nothing like we used to do. We don’t have the money for a big blow out. The few coming are teachers and I’m sure we will talk shop, much to the chagrin of the spouses. Should be fun, just the same.

The goal now is to get all the homework done on Friday and Saturday so I can rest and relax on Sunday. I am going to make a spicy vegetarian chili this year. I’ve never made it before and I’m just making it up as I go, using my meat chili recipe as the base. I hope it’s good. If everyone eats salad instead, then I will know to go back to the drawing board.

Supposedly, Jon Stewart only had two weeks to prepare for the fun festivities. Yeah, right. Does anyone else really believe that? Writer’s strike or no, I suspect he’s been working on his material for a while. I look forward to his performance. He’s a funny guy. Here is a list of the

Official Oscar website
Download a printable ballot

No comments: