Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Big Birthday Round Up

What a fantastic birthday I’ve had! The snow days have given me extra time with the girls, but I didn’t necessarily need it. I had so much fun this weekend. Here is a listing of some of the highlights:


1984
We went to Springfield’s retro arcade, 1984, and it was so much fun. There were tons of kids there and it was very busy. Daughter enjoyed playing Golden Axe. The wife enjoyed the game, 1984, and Frogger. I really liked Centipede, Space Invaders and Joust. I suck at Donkey Kong. Suck.



The Pimple
The daughter got up Sunday morning and was so excited. She had a big, whitehead pimple on her nose. She jumped up and down, squealed, and proclaimed “I’m a teenager now!” Not hardly as she is only 7-years-old, but she was happy about it. We’ll see how happy she is to have pimples when she is 13.



Sushi, Octopus and Lobster
We celebrated my birthday with my family by going to Steak and Ale. I had surf and turf and my daughter, who is notorious for not trying new foods, actually ate a bite of lobster. She loved it. That evening we hung out with our friends at Umi, a quaint sushi stop here in town. We really enjoy that restaurant, but can’t eat sushi very often as we are on a budget. It was a big table, 9 of us, so we ordered some sushi. One thing the waiter brought us were three baby octopus. We conned the kids, two boys (twins) and my daughter, into eating them. I ate one and they ate the rest. I can’t believe that my daughter ate a octopus, head, brain, tentacles and all. That is not like her. She was so excited to have eating the brain. It was really pretty good; it was just rubbery. She also tried some chicken teriyaki sushi. I know, it’s not real sushi, but it was the only thing that she would try, except for the cucumber role. She opted for the teriyaki roll. She ate several pieces.


Movies
We have been so busy that we have not had time to watch any movies. We are going to try to watch FLICKA as a family tonight, but who knows if we will get to it.


Games
Today we have played games: Simpsons Clue and Memory. She kicks her Mom’s butt every time they play Memory. Soph is good at it.


Comics
I’ve read some comics. I got to read Jeff Smith’s new take on SHAZAM! I also read USAGI YOJIMBO by Stan Sakai. Both are good. USAGI YOJIMBO is fantastic! Think of it as a Akira Kurosawa film in comic format. It’s great – lots of samurai culture, sword play in feudal Japan.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Anytime you want to go down to 1984 and go mano-a-mano on some of the games just let me know. :)