Sunday, November 01, 2009

POLICE AND FIRE PENSION FUND

KY 3 ran a story on the police and fire pension fun, unfortunately (according to the Catanese blog this morning) it ran at 7 a.m. Too early for me, but they put them on their web page good for them). I watched them at 8:35 p.m. tonight. I'm offering the links below.


Parts one, two and four showcase city leaders and union members supporting the tax. Part three offers an opposing view. 

Personally, I don't understand the argument behind the opposition. It seems to me the nay-sayers offer nothing more than a blanket opposition to all taxes. Something about chickens and roosting and other nonsensical answers.

It seems to me that if Springfield residents do not support a tax, then we will end up being sued by the police and fire employees. I can only imagine that a court case would only cost the city more with legal fees and we will still end up paying for the entire pension fund anyway. Again, it leads me to believe that the opposition is merely opposing the tax because it is a tax and cannot let themselves think beyond "it's a gov'ment tax" mentality.

I don't want to pay for court costs that will inevitably tell me to do what I know to be right in the first place, and then cost me more to tell me that. It just isn't logical. We have to support this tax, despite the fact that me might not like taxes at this point in time, in order to save ourselves money later on. It's time to be practical and economical.

I do echo the Busplunge belief that it is time for us to move away from a volunteer city government.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, we are required to make this thing whole. But let's not penalize the citizens for blunders of former City officials. Council... look for things to cut or re-direct current taxes. Unemmployment is high, times are tough. Give the Citizens a break. Springfield, at the very least, make an effort to "save" within before taxing the citizens.