Wednesday, November 18, 2009

SIREN'S SMORGASBORD

The holidays have made me think about my health journey. Holidays are hard for the fat guy. Many families center holiday parties around food rather than people, which I find disheartening; it really shouldn't be the food. 

Sayings like "It's not Thanksgiving without [insert favorite fat-laden food]" is prevalent in the South and along border states like Missouri. Yet it puts the overeater in a precarious situation. Many families chose food over family, insisting the fat person stare at, smell and salivate over their drug and still refrain. The reality is that is not a plausible solution. We do not ask alcoholics to go to bars and we do not send meth addicts to a meth lab and expect them to have the wherewithal to not partake. Our society, especially the southern holiday traditions expect and demand that very thing. 

I have been told that I am selfish if I do anything but go to the parties and refuse. I've even had one family member tease me with cookies, going so far as to take me to the corner and ask me to eat her homemade sugar cookies. I've sat among surgical weight loss applicants and heard stories of wives being forced to cook two meals because the rest of the family insisted she make the meal that she cannot eat. 

Fortunately for me, I've decided to be a polite but firm prick. That is to say, I have decided that I will not attend that one family member's holiday event this year. She has purposefully tempted me and called me selfish for not eating her food one too many times. 

My parents, on the other hand, provide a wonderful Christmas brunch with healthy choices. The food is presented, eaten and put away. It is no longer a day-long buffet of cakes and pies and crap. Now, there are desserts, but my mother discretely tucked away. If one is so inclined to overstuff, there is a bounty to do so, but it is not a hog trough of food.

I am as prepared as I can be for the upcoming holiday. I have a plan, support and a desire. I think it will work out well. I'm looking forward to the holiday without as much food. 

No comments: