Thursday, August 10, 2006

Nancy Hagan Emails Fat Jack

Democrat Nancy Hagan (candidate for the 135th District in Springfield) shot me an email yesterday (August 9). Here it is in it's entirety:

Dear Sir:

Apparently there are complications with our email server. I apologize and this is to let you know we are working to rectify the situation. Please contact me again with your questions and I will more than happy to answer them. Please respond to me at the above e-mail address or we are listed in the phone book under Jim HAGAN.

I want to encourage you to continue your pursuit of your Master's Degree. We certainly need more men in the education field.

Sincerely,

Nancy Hagan


The following is my response to Hagan.


Dear Mrs. Hagan,

On my blog, I was quite critical of you for not responding to my two different emails. (Although I have been equally critical of Charlie Denison for his lack of response after my wife and I traveled to Jefferson City to speak with him.) However, I do understand technological difficulties. I have lived in the 135th district for nearly a decade and have been very frustrated to not have a representative support my issues and as the saying goes, "I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it anymore." When I talk to candidates (or my legislator) then I publish those responses on my blog. Interestingly enough, there are several active and known bloggers in Springfield who live in the 135th district.

Here's your chance to shine. I will also publish your response to this email on my blog. I look forward to hearing from you.

As a former journalist and future teacher I take my voting right and responsibility very seriously. That is why I tried contacting you last month. I've never had a viable democratic candidate to vote for in my district. The last democrat I had the opportunity to vote for broke into a screaming sermon at a legislative panel that my agency hosted.

Specifically, I am curious about your stance on the following issues:

1. The Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (MAWD). This is an issue that was fast tracked during the last session, but then stalled in the Senate.

2. Detail your feelings on embryonic stem-cell research, which has garnered a lot of attention recently.

3. How do you feel about raising Missouri's minimum wage?

4. Do you have any plans on introducing any legislation if you are elected? If so, specify your plans.

5. What are you plans regarding funding for Higher Education? Elementary and Secondary Education?

6. Your website does not list your top priorities beyond a broad statement toward supporting education, civil liberties, economic development etc. I would like to know specifics. It does mention that you are a "solutions-oriented, independent thinker who will bring a fresh perspective to Jefferson City". Please be specific about the solutions you are alluding to.

7. Is there anything specific that you wish to discuss that I have not covered?

2 comments:

thinkingthings said...

Yay Jack. You've asked some very good questions, and I am looking forward to seeing her answers. The Medicaid mess just gets bigger and bigger. It must be addressed, if not in the legislature then in the "court of public opinion." BTW: Today (8/15) from 1-4 at the Regional Center is apparently some kind of public hearing regarding mental health. A big turn out of citizens would be good.

admin said...

She told me that she is working on answering the questions. I'm just waiting. I told her there was no hurry. I heard that the Mental Health Commission was meeting at SRC. They've done that once before. I don't know why they are meeting there. But I'm glad. Of the eight years I worked there, they've only started coming this last year.