Friday, January 11, 2008

'The Lone Ranger' is a Great Read


When I was a kid I remember watching the old Lone Ranger TV series in black and white, and did I love him. He was my hero, a kind of Superman with a six shooter. The Lone Ranger was a good and honorable man, he helped others, and stood for justice.

I loved it.

Dynamite Entertainment has re-introduced The Lone Ranger as a comic for a new generation and it is simply fantastic. Brett Matthews understands the character, taking his time with the story, developing characters and a motivation. Because of my love of The Lone Ranger, I started collecting the series almost a year ago, but I had never read a single issue until tonight.

It is not appropriate for children, but it is a great western. I highly recommend it. And fear not. There is no stereotypical Indian caricatures here, only a well-thought out story with breathtaking art to match.

I believe a trade paperback is available so you do not have to try to track down all the individual issues. See your local comic book shop to order it. You can probably also order it from your local bookstore, but I would encourage you to support your local comic shop instead. Stu at Games, Comics, Etc. (in the shopping center next to Andy’s on South Campbell) would be glad to help you.

Some of Dynamite's other titles include, but are not limited to:

  • Red Sonja
  • Army of Darkness
  • Battlestar Balactica
  • Xena: Warrior Princess
  • Highlander
  • Zorro
  • Terminator 2: Infinity
  • Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters
  • and several more

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jack,

I agree with you completely. The art is breathtaking. The art often tells the story. The stories are well thought out and develop characters. This is one of the best comic series I have read in a long time.