Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Music in the Elementary Classroom: Help Me Make the Right Choices

My friends, I need your help. I’ll first explain the philosophy behind what I am doing then connect it to you. Stay with me.

Children learn in different ways and respond to different stimuli and approaches. Psychologist Howard Gardner did a study on what he called Multiple Intelligences, which described the different ways in which humans are intelligent. That is to say, he believed that the idea of intelligence was much larger than book smarts and the memorization of facts. Different people have different types of intelligences. One of those intelligences is Musical/Rhythmic. This is the ability for a person to “think in music and be able to hear patterns, recognize them, and perhaps manipulate them.”

Today’s children are comfortable with multiple inputs such as completing homework while watching television. In fact, using music is a technique used to help students with ADHD to focus their attention so that they can complete their school work. I suspect it would help many students focus. Understanding that, I want to bring music into my classroom. For example, let’s say my future fifth graders are working hard on a group Power Point project. They have researched their topic and are creating this in order to demonstrate their understanding. There will be music playing in the background to help the students stay focused and calm. Those that need to move can bounce their knees to the beat and find comfort in the rhythms.

Here is where you come in. I need help building my musical library. I want to have a wide swatch of musical choices that cover many genres: jazz, classical, rock and roll, classic rock, cultural, folk and bluegrass, rap and hip-hop, and pop. It must all be clean and appropriate, of course. I am looking for suggestions from you. What music would you play or suggest.

I really need help, my friends, about jazz and classical.

I want to play some jazz and classical that the students might recognize and therefore be more likely to enjoy. Then I can increase expose. I do not know enough about jazz or classical to know how to start. The music does not have to be slow. Not only do I need suggestions about the bands, but which songs should I choose?

I have some music in my library that I have thought of:

  • Alison Krauss
  • The Dillards
  • The Beatles
  • Beck (Loser)
  • Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bob Marley
  • Bon Jovi
  • Bruce Springstein
  • Lynard Skynard
  • Peter, Paul and Mary
  • PM Dawn
  • The Beach Boys
  • Enya

But there is so much more out there. By the way, if you have any music that you would like to donate to the classroom please let me know. I'd be glad to take it off your hands, and if appropriate, use it in my classroom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the film 2001
Also Sprach Zarathustra, the theme from 2001
The Blue Danube

http://www.palantir.net/2001/sounds.html

Anonymous said...

Hey, there's an excellent list of classical music in films at http://www.naxos.com/musicinmovies.asp?letter=A

The CDM said...

I have an old ex's Ace of Base/The Bridge you can have, given gladly. I also have a CD titled Band to Band released in 2000. All independent artists you can prescreen if ya want. I never opened it and I also don't see any Parental Advisory warnings anywhere.

Tabitha said...

Hey Chris - Enigma is great! I use them when I'm working on homework. Some of it is very relaxing, some very upbeat, and some of it is chant. www.enigmamusic.com

admin said...

Gladly accepted, complaints dept. Email me (abikerbard@mac.com)

Good suggestions Granny and Tabitha. Thanks.

The CDM said...

You've Got Mail!

Sky Girl said...

I was going to suggest Enigma, too. They have a tune called The Dream of the Dolphin that I really like. Also, the Sting soundtrack from the film The Living Sea is something I like to listen to while I work.