Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Cancer Sucks!

Took time out from homework on Monday to donate my energy, money, time and gas to caner, or rather the fighting thereof. A big group of bikers, Ride for the Relay, are riding from Chicago to Los Angeles, raising money to fight cancer.


Here is the route.


The in-laws, who each have their own bike, joined the ride this year. Roy, my father-in-law, led the group from Joplin to Springfield. I rode up to Steak-n-Shake, ate lunch and rode with the group for a while. We scooted along Route 66 and stopped at Paris Springs where we hung out at Gay Parita’s old time filling station. We had Route 66 root beer from a bottle, signed his book, and looked at his old trucks. Busplunge would have loved this place.


Paris Springs on Route 66 (now Highway 266).


I could not go on. I had to pick up my daughter from school and then go to night class. But it was worth it to take some time out of the day to contribute to something bigger than myself. Motorcyclists are great about donating money to worthy causes: cancer, MS, MD, Toys for Tots, and the list goes on and on. I can't keep up with all the charity rides in the Ozarks. I'd go broke if I tried to do them all. Toys for Tots is especially interesting as we do it in the first weekend of December. It can be an awful cold ride in December.

No comments: