Tuesday, June 02, 2009

DADDY, WHAT'S A DOUCHE BAG?

Seriously? My nearly 9-year-old wants to know this? Okay, how are you going to handle this one, Big Daddy?

I took a deep breath,
and told her the truth
geared for a child.

She's heard some kids at school call each other that word and she wanted to know what it was. Understandable. I'm glad she had the guts to ask me. I'm glad I had the guts to tell her. She agreed that it is not a nice word and that we don't use it. I also told her that the act of douching is not healthy or natural and that our bodies clean themselves.

Now she knows and knowing is half the battle.

4 comments:

Jason said...

One of the best early SNL skits:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/79/79tdouchebag.phtml

Desdinova said...

My question is how did we arrive at calling people douche bags? I don't really understand how that became an insult.

Beavis and Butthead said...

"Heh, heh, he said douchebag, heh, heh."

"Shut. Up."

"I think he just did a google for douchebag."

"Shut. Up."

"It ain't the best, it ain't even funny."

"Will. You. Please. Shut. Up!"

"Go take a long walk off a short pier."

"Mom!"

Anonymous said...

Although a completely appropriate term for really good friends to label one another, the situation gets a little hinky when kids get involved. That's why I am not allowed to speak in the house