Wednesday, April 15, 2009

WHAT I WANT OUT OF MY METEROLOGIST

Every morning I get up at 6 am and check the weather at 6:30 pm as that is the time our local TV stations update their web page. I turn the news on, but I don't always have time to actually watch it. I'm busy getting the progeny ready for school, making breakfast for the family, taking care of our little wild animals, and getting ready for the day. I leave the house at 7:30 a.m.

I get the daily highs and lows and I get a lot of information about a ridge of high pressure or some such information, which is great, but doesn't really help me make decisions about how my child should dress for the upcoming school day or how I should dress if I, perhaps, want to ride the motorcycle, bicycle or walk to work. (Please forgive my meteorological ignorance.)

I would like very much to see the following information on the local TV weather website:

  • A breakdown of the daily temp predictions at different intervals (8 am, noon, 3 pm, 6 pm).
  • A breakdown of the daily precipitation predictions at different intervals (8 am, noon, 3 pm, 6 pm).

Most of the meteorologists read the barometer reading on the news and provide the pollen count online. Some even provide the above information on the news, but not on the website. For those of us with children, or those who are looking to ride their bicycle to work as a part of being green, or those of us who want to ride our motorcycles, this information would be ever so handy.

On behalf of the staff at Fat Jack's Erratic Rants, I thank the local weather personalities for their kind consideration of this request.

2 comments:

geo said...

I look at Accuweather and Weather Underground for hourly or so predictions. Don't watch TV weather much as I remember better days of 15 minute local news/weather/sports (the national news took the first 15 minutes) and the weatherperson didnt go on and on and on.

admin said...

Geo,

I just checked out Accuweather and it offers just what I need:

Temps by the hour
Rain Chances by the hour

It's all in a nice, easy graphic. I get it when I want it. Thanks so much.