Tuesday, July 07, 2009

DOES THE NEWSPAPER NOT CONSULT THEIR AP STYLEBOOK?

RE: Changes in parking places upset some

I stopped counting the number of times the reporter used the word "handicap". It caught my eye because I am certain the AP Stylebook specifically states not to use the word "handicap". I consulted the Internet.

I went first to AP Stylebook Online, but I don't have a membership any longer. That was ages ago. I did find "Beyond the AP Stylebook: Language and Usage for Reporters and Editors".

DISABLED" AND "DISABILITY" TERMS OF CHOICE
Most people involved in disability issues today see "disabled" or "disability" as terms of choice. Many want journalists to write "person with a disability" rather than "disabled person." A number of groups issue pamphlets explaining that the "person should come first." The terms "handicap" and "handicapped" have been used in much legislation concerning disabled people. During the 1960s and early 1970s, it was the word of choice. It fell into disrepute, however, when leaders of the disability rights movement insisted it was a term coined by special education professionals and not a term the movement chose. Today, most disability groups are changing the "handicap" in their titles to "disability."

It was 1987 that the AP Stylebook first had an entry under the heading of "handicapped". The word has been out for 20 years, so I am left wondering why she choose such language when her stylebook clearly states otherwise. What of the editors?

No comments: