Saturday, August 16, 2008

Big Fat Double Feature

Skinny Kitty wanted, desperately I might add, for us to go to some farm and milk cows today. It was a nice day and all, but it is my vacation, I have very little left, and I was not in the mood to yank on cow ninny.

I offered a solution: How about catching a double feature? The daughter was game; she has been begging to see WALL-E and the Clone Wars also came out this weekend. I didn’t read any reviews beforehand; I should have.

We saw Clone Wars at 11:30, then dashed down the hall to see WALL-E. At least we ended on a good note. Clone Wars was nothing more than a overly-long battle with a bit of smart lip thrown in by the only thing cool in the movie: Anakin’s padawan learner, Ahsoka.

She was a very young padawan learner assigned to Skywalker, despite his complaints. She was a precocious little Jedi-to-be, talking trash and trying to outdo her master. I love girl power. She was the only redeeming character or quality to the movie. Otherwise, it was a big fat flop, garnering a 19% at Rotten Tomatoes.

WALL-E, on the other hand, was very good. Compare its 97% fresh rating and that should give you a clue. The adorable little robot said very little in the way of words, but the movie had plenty to say about the environment, taking care of our bodies, and personal responsibility. It was charming, sad and adorable.

We’ve had supper – baked pepper chicken with veggies and one piece of bread – and now we are settling in for a night of reading. We could have, and probably should have, made better use of the nice weather. I cannot really argue with that, but I can say that we have had a great family day.

No comments: